Monday 22 October 2012

A little bit of vintage

Oh dear it's been such a  long time again, I might possibly be talking to myself :) but if I'm not


I'm still doing all the boring stuff, work, course work, etc but I have found a few nice things over the Summer to put a smile on my face. I have been wanting a dressing table for a while now and was pleased to win this on E bay.
 It needed a good polish and at last I have somewhere to put some of my treasures, the lady I bought it off begged me not to paint it white, I know it won't be to everyones taste but in our old house it fits in well.

I received a lovely anniversary gift, this is very fine talcum powder in a glass bottle made in the 30's  the company was called ZENOBIA PERFUMES:

ZENOBIA PERFUMES was started by chemist FW CHARLES in his LOUGHBOROUGH MARKET PLACE shop in the late nineteenth century . His well remembered slogan was "Romance in a Small Chemist's Shop" and the firm went on to make a huge variety of perfumes, many of them from flowers not normally associated with the industry today. His first success was SWEET PEA BLOSSOM and before long old favourites like Lily of the Valley, Violet and Jasmine were joined by rarities such as Wallflower and Poppy.
Some of the perfumes cost only pennies and many a bottle would be bought by young children as a birthday or Christmas gift for their mothers. ....
The firm continued to do excellent business and in 1949 the Wood Gate factory had an annual output of half a million bottles. The premises were sold to GENATOSAN in the late 1950s. (Google)

This little Yardley drum was sent to me by Tamara from A Treasured Past all the way from Ausrtalia.
 
Something I have had for a while are these hat pins, not having a pin stand I thought they would be safer inside this old jar.
Last but not least I now have a place to put my bargain leather ring box this cost me 20p at a boot fair last year. I think the bargain days are well and truly over don't you.

I hope you've all had a good Summer, my hubby has had good news from the hospital so it's all systems go to enjoy life again. I'm looking forward to catching up on all the blogs, blow the homework for once :)
Have a good week
bye for now Cate x

3 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Lovely vintage things, they are pretty, and that dressing table is wonderful. You're right the bargains seem to have gone........charity shops have shot up in price, and the last time I went to a bootfair, some of the prices were quite high.
Glad to hear your husband is well on the road to recovery.
Julie xxxxxxx

A Treasured Past said...

Great to hear from your Cate! I am so glad the hubby has some good new, that is excellent!

I love your dresser and wouldn't not even contemplate painting it white. All your treasures look gorgeous on it. I particularly like t=you anniversary gift.

The little leather ring case for 20p was a steal! Enjoy your week, I hope the course is going well,

Tam x

OhSoVintage said...

I love your dressing table. I'm not surprised the seller begged you not to paint it. Some things just shouldn't be painted and the patina of the wood on this is so lovely it would be sacrilege to paint over it! Love the leather ring case too. What can you buy for 20p nowadays!