Saturday 14 January 2012

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeesy





 
 A nice easy recipe for toast, cakes, scones or anything else you can think of. You can use clementines or oranges which are everywhere now. Be careful not to get any pith when you take off the zest and don't let it get too hot or you will have a bit of scrambled egg in with it :)

LEMON CURD

Makes 2 small jam jars
zest and juice of 4 unwaxed lemons
200g sugar
100g butter
3 eggs and 1 egg yolk
Put the lemon zest and juice, the sugar and the butter, cut into cubes, into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the basin doesn't touch the water. Stir with a whisk from time to time until the butter has melted.
Mix the eggs and egg yolk lightly with a fork, then stir into the lemon mixture. Let the curd cook, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes, until it is thick and custard-like. It should feel heavy on the whisk.
Remove from the heat and stir occasionally as it cools. Pour into spotlessly clean jars and seal. It will keep for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.

I sterilize my jars and lids by pouring on boiling water, you can also put them in the oven.
If you haven't tried making it have a go, it's so much nicer than shop bought, enjoy :)
This one of Nigel Slaters recipes I love his cooking.


Woke up this morning to thick frost, but the sun is shining and the birds are singing what more could you want ? well it is Saturday.
Have a good weekend everyone
Cate x








9 comments:

petals and vintage said...

I love Nigel Slater's cooking too! This looks really yum. Thanks for the inspiration Cate. Hope all is well. xx

KC'sCourt! said...

I love homemade lemon curd, must try this recipe, I use the one from the Wartime Stork Margine CookBook.
Julie xxxxxxx

Fancy Vintage said...

Morning, I so have to make this! looks so awesome, love it. Really inspiring. Thanks always for visiting me. My sister in law keeps making me cool things like those crocheted handless gloves on my blog. Check out Coco rose it's a really cute blog. Have a great weekend.
Becca xxx

Hesta Nesta said...

I love lemon curd and I love Nigel Slater so I will have to give this recipe a go. Have a great weekend.
Jo xx

A Treasured Past said...

Yum lemon curd. I did make a batch once, about 20 years ago, maybe I should try it again. Enjoy your Sunday, Tam x

Unknown said...

It really is lovely to have crisp days and sunshine instead of winds and rain ;-)) Lemon curd sounds lovely, enjoy. dee x

Tilly Rose said...

Oooh I LOVE lemon curd! MMmmm...that's made me want to make some now!

Happy New Year wishes hunny
Tilly x

Anonymous said...

Yum, I love lemon curd too! It looks delicious!

Elizabeth said...

mmmm sounds wonderfully delish!I'm going to have to give this a try!
Hope you are having a wonderful start to your week!