Monday 2 August 2010

How do you make a lampshade ?







I bought this lamp ages ago on  a boot fair it needed lots of TLC
 but at 50p I thought it was worth a go


I have since replased all the plastic bits with brass and waxed the wooden base. I have ripped off the fabric from an old shade, now this is where I need  your help can anyone direct me to a site for lampshade making or do you have any good ideas, the frame is a bit like the ones below



 I'm not even sure what fabric to use having tried a few nothing looks right. Many years ago I made shades using string just binding it around it, well looked good at the time :)




I have been pulling ivy off the roof again, I'm so tired, but we did manage to get a cover over part of the roof to stop anymore water damage, there is a great mound of roots to get rid of, can't ever see this getting finished.



Hope your all enjoying doing something you like wherever you are
Cate x

5 comments:

Nearly there Claire said...

Oooooooh I am glad you have asked about lamp shades, let me know what you find out Hun. I reckon it will be fabby when finished. x

Annie said...

I think the lamp will look lovely when it is finished. I have a shade that needs re-covering too but not sure how to go about doing it.
Ann x

petals and vintage said...

Hi Cate,
There is a really good tutorial on restoring a lampshade from this link: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/57305/how-to-restore-a-lamp-shade
have fun, good luck and can't wait until we see the finished lampshade!

A Treasured Past said...

Hi Cate,

Wow, great find for 50p. I have no idea how to cover the skeleton of a shade..sorry. I did recover fabric shade, I just hot glue gunned on a couple of doilies and some ribbon to edge it.

I have seen few ideas where the skeleton of the shade is left bare, and you peg on old photos or hang strips of ribbon or lace doilies etc from it.

Sounds like you summer house is coming along :)

Tamara x

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, I have no idea about lampshades but an episode of Kirsties Homemade Home covered lampshade making and there's a tutorial here that might help http://www.channel4.com/4homes/design-style/how-to-guides/how-to-make-a-lampshade-intro-09-04-30_p_1.html